Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day 2014!


 Happy Earth Day everyone! I can still remember my first Earth Day experience wayyy back in Middle School, we won't say how far back, but anyway! We made posters, and tons of activities for the day. I was very much a hippie kid. It wasn't just about wearing bell bottoms and floaty skirts. I loved being outside and exploring nature. Sadly though as I have gotten older and life became busier I have not gotten to enjoy being outside as much.
So today I thought I'd share with you some tips and things we do to help Mother Earth and do our part. If you have children you know these days they are very much into current events and much more aware. They would love to learn more from you!

Our number one favorite past time is to take a walk! You can play Eye-Spy with your child, naming birds or flowers or even shapes out of the clouds. Discuss the importance of not littering, and the why's.


If you are in the right planting zone, plant some flowers or a tree today. If you are not able to do that due to frost, you can always start a seedling or potato plant in the house. It's always fun to watch plants grow, and teaches little ones how to care for a plant too!

A superb Pinterest idea right here!

Recycling is one of the easiest things you can do to make an impact. I know it sounds cliche, but it's true! Take those soda cans and water bottles and get them ready to recycle. Speaking of water bottles, since they are one of the biggest garbage makers and contain BPA's find a reusable cup or bottle like Cool Gear brand which you can find pretty much anywhere.
Donate your clothing and household goods to a charity or Goodwill instead of throwing it away. Not only will that keep excess trash out of the landfills, that unused item will  get a new life! My children are happy to donate their clothes and toys in hopes that they can help another child.


Another fun childhood craft to try is  to recycle those broken crayons! I know I have a million laying around my house and would be a fun way to use them up.


I hope you find these little tips to be helpful! Enjoy your day!











No comments:

Post a Comment